Vessel repairing facility for repairing of IWT vessels
- Repairing of vessel at Floating workshop : At central workshop the following facilities are available
- Welding,general cutting,fitting and fixing work
- Painting work
- Engine repairing wirk
- Wood related work
- All type of electrification work
- Repairing by local contractors : Some repair of vessels(wooden/steel) works required to be done through local contractors where it is difficult to carry out the work the central workshop
- Slipway : A all season vessel repairing facility is being constructed by IWAI on a IWT land at Pandu, Guwahati for major repairing of hulls of the vessels for the vessel required dry-docking
Dry docking of IWT vessels
IWT Assam do not have dry-dock facility. For carrying out repairing of bottom hull & stern gear unit etc .Natural dry docking of vessel is required. Steps taken for natural dry docking of vessels are as follows:
- Vessel to be placed on high sand dune as soon as river water recedes during the month of October.
- Placing of required wooden blocks under the bottom plate after lifting the vessel by Jacking.
- Remove earth manually from bottom portion to get a workable height for achieving suitable state of working condition.
- Removing all fittings / accessories from hull where necessary to release self weight of vessel.
- Gas Cutting and removing damaged portion of bottom plate and chine plate etc. as required.
- Replacing/repairing of M.S. scantling (assorted)of hull frame as required by arc welding.
- Fitting fixing M.S. Plate of reqd. size where necessary.
- Repairing of stern gear portion to be carried out if necessary.
- Scrapping for removing rust and foreign materials from wall surfaces and applying bituminous paint with red-oxide primer.
- Safe placing on wooden blocks till rising of water level (up to April-May) for launching in to river water.
- Wooden blocks tied-up each other with nailing & G.I. Wire and the bunch recovered after launching of vessel.